Setup Visual Studio 2010

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
Sorry, I could not find any help or howto telling me how to connect the add-in to TortoiseSVN correctly ... How do I set this add-in up?
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Actually you don't need to connect VsTortoise to TortoiseSVN. You just need a Working Copy of a repository on your harddrive. If TortoiseSVN detects the Working Copy in the Windows Explorer, VsTortoise should do so too. There is no direct/bi-directional connection between the add-in and TortoiseSVN.

The add-in checks if the Solution, Project or a particular file is under source control and then enables various svn related commands such as Commit, Update etc. If such a command is being invoked, the add-in ShellExecute's TortoiseSVN. However, the TortoiseSVN installation directory must be in the PATH environment variable. The TortoiseSVN installation usually adds it automatically (haven't seen any computer which has TortoiseSVN installed where this wasn't the case). If you did remove it from there, all ShellExecute's by the add-in will silently fail.

Do you get any error message or output at all? What exactly does not work, missing buttons? all grayed out? Which Visual Studio version/language do you use? You can enable VsTortoise diagnostics in Tools -> Options -> VsTortoise. This will output everything passed to TortoiseSVN from the add-in.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I didn't assume that there is nothing I have to configure, no things like path variables etc. that have to be set explicitly ...

Everything works fine now, thanks for your reply!

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM

learn